What is going on with ADHD really? We look at the 5 common causes and ADHD natural remedy strategies to really help your kids, without the toxic medication. Don’t label it, treat it!
ADHD is the most common behavioural disorder among children and adolescents in the US, and the prevalence has risen over the last decades.
Children are struggling a lot more with basic learning and there are several reasons for this.
I believe that yes there are learning environment issues, yes there are very often behavioural issues stemming from the dynamic in the home. But there is also a major common thread or THREADS.
Something is going on inside their bodies.
Statistics & the Worlds View
A recent study estimated that the global prevalence of ADHD is 5.3%. Boys are significantly more likely to be diagnosed with ADHD than girls – at least four out of every five cases of ADHD are diagnosed in boys. Interesting!
It’s also interesting that the rate of kids in France that have been analyzed and treated for ADHD is under 0.5%
France defines ADHD as a sociological disorder caused by a set of social situations, whereas the U.S. sees ADHD as a neurological disorder whose symptoms are the result of biological dysfunction, or a chemical imbalance in the brain.
ADHD is regularly treated with psychotherapy or even family guidance in France.
I believe it is a combination of the 2 – both their social/emotional environment & neurology. Yes, there are real differences in brain activity between a child diagnosed with ADHD & a child without.
But we don’t have to accept this as a permanent difference because there are REASONS for this!
Ok, so firstly …
What are the symptoms of ADHD?
- Inability to sit still
- Easily bored & distracted
- General restlessness
- Talks quickly & incessantly
- Poor memory & prone to losing things
- Large & unpredictable emotional swings & outbursts
- Difficulty in following even basic instructions & completing tasks
- Low tolerance of people, situations and surroundings
- Doesn’t listen or seems not to process what’s being said
- Unstable personal relationships
It’s a reactive state to be in and one that greatly affects their learning, relationships and every experience in their world.
It’s no wonder many parents feel they need to intervene, and for many, the medications may be the only option presented to them.
So What’s wrong with the medication?
It breaks my heart when I hear of another child medicated for ‘ADHD’. And none of this is to judge AT ALL, I understand that for some it may seem like the only option. People trust their doctors.
But the fact is that the medications come at a steep cost. The side effects can be severe, including decreased appetite, stomach-ache or headache, delayed sleep onset, jitteriness, social withdrawal, and muscle tics.
Does that sound like ‘safe’ medication to you?
Over time it will deplete the adrenal glands.
You can’t put anyone on amphetamines long-term without dire consequences to the metabolism & cellular health.
So would you like to know 5 reasons your child may not have ‘ADHD’ after all, but actually any or all of 5 underlying issues, that can ALL be treated?
Thought so! 😉
So here are the 5 reasons:
Researchers have demonstrated that children with these conditions have high oxidative stress, where a healthy child will have very little.
So I feel that we have to be asking why do these children have such high levels of oxidative stress?
- Exposure during pregnancy with cigarettes, alcohol and other substances (e.g. cocaine) may increase the risk of ADHD.
- Maternal stress during pregnancy also increases the risk of ADHD in children.
- Toxicity & stress drive oxidative stress in the body.
Individuals suffering with ADHD are under high levels of oxidative stress in their brain. The brain is mostly fat which is highly susceptible to oxidative damage.
Our main protective shield is the master anti-oxidant Glutathione, which is produced in normal healthy individuals, to varying degrees.
A key pathway that maintains cellular glutathione levels and the ability of the cell to adapt to stress is called Keap1-Nrf2.
When this pathway deactivates it causes increased levels of oxidative stress within the cell that leads to more glutathione depletion and mitochondrial dysfunction.
It is a vicious cycle.
Improving glutathione status in ADHD individuals has been demonstrated to improve hyperactivity and focus.
Dr Martha Herbert is probably the most respected research physician in the field of ADHD, ADD & autism in children has said that she is now convinced that low glutathione production is the link.
In fact, many childhood illnesses are linked to a deficiency of glutathione in the body
There is one very special natural herbal supplement that actually activates the nrf2 pathways (nrf2 activator) and enhances the body’s own glutathione production by 300%! You can’t even get anywhere near this result by actually taking glutathione!
Contact me or Join our Facebook Wellness Group to find out more
When we are making enough glutathione we can mop up oxidative stress, begin to repair oxidative damage and our brains can operate better! It’s that simple!
Studies have shown that preschool children with higher levels of lead in their bodies are at higher risk of developing ADHD.
Toxic metals, such as lead & mercury inhibit the production of glutathione in the body, sabotaging the body’s detoxification system. As a result, toxic chemicals accumulate, affecting brain function, resulting in behaviours frequently seen in children with ADHD.
This can be reversed by limiting your child’s exposure to toxic substances and heavy metals and by supporting them with an appropriate natural detox & healing regime.
Mercury, aluminium & other toxins in vaccines & other sources are known to create oxidative stress. The body cannot excrete mercury, it has to store it, and it blocks our nerve receptors.
There are around 41 other chemicals in those vaccines.
Glutathione can actually bind with the toxins & lift it out of the receptors so the cells can function efficiently. So once again activating those nrf2 pathways (with the nrf2 activator) to increase glutathione production is a powerful option.
Once you have checked it out & are ready to purchase please contact me for wholesale prices.
Vitamin C & chelation are other alternatives but glutathione has the capability of breaking down this toxic plaque and lifting it out, binding it so that it can be safely excreted.
If you are serious about removing the toxins from your life for your whole family, you may want to consider taking our free 7-day Toxin-free Life e-course.
If you are REALLY serious I’m pretty sure I’ve found the best course out there to take you through this process IN DEPTH.
I’ve learned LOADS from Alexx Stuart of Lowtoxlife.com. She offers:
- Low tox kids course
- Plus a range of other Lo-Tox courses like Go Low Tox Basics, Go Low Tox Premium and Go Low Tox Lifer
Like this Article?
The Gut Biome
There’s been a huge amount of research linking the gut microbiome and neurological health.
Research has indicated that low levels of healthy lactobacillus and bifidobacterium are linked with increased brain excitability and neurological inflammation.
So this too is an enormous element to consider!
There are reasons why your child’s gut biome may have been compromised, perhaps from birth. But the important thing is to now support them to rebalance it.
- Remove sources of toxicity & oxidative stress (with the nrf2 activator), and inflammatory foods so the gut wall can start to heal again.
- Then introduce a quality source of therapeutic probiotics high in viable lactobacillus & Bifidobacterium.
- Recommended for kids 4 years and over who are comfortable swallowing the tiny pearl whole, can be chewed, mild citrus flavour. But more effective if swallowed whole since it will deliver more live bacteria where it’s needed.
- Has an optimal balance of each of the following strains: Lactobacillus Plantarum, Bifidobacterium lactis, Bifidobacterium infantis, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus reuteri.
- Non-GMO, vegetarian, yeast-free; no lactose, soy, gluten, wheat, nuts, eggs, shellfish, chemicals, preservatives, artificial colors, flavors, or sweeteners.
- 60 day supply
- A small chewable tablet, kid-friendly taste
- Also contains prebiotics – the food probiotics need to survive
- No fillers, non-GMO, Kosher, non-dairy, gluten free, soy free, Magnesium stearate free, wheat free, egg-free, yeast free, sugar-free, salt-free, animal derivatives free, with no artificial flavours or preservatives.
- They guarantee the viability for the whole shelf life and don’t require refrigeration. These guys offer a money back guarantee if you don’t love the product.
- 60 day supply
- Contains 30 flavourless packets which can be added to food
- No refrigeration needed
- Non-GMO, sugar free, and have no unwanted additives.
Nutritional & dietary
Certain foods will be keeping your child in an inflammatory cycle & aggravating them in other ways, preventing the gut from healing & the system detoxing & rebalancing.
If your child’s diet could use a revise, start with removing the following nasties:
- Refined sugar & artificial sweetener.
- Synthetic colours, flavourings & additives are all potential allergens.
- Gluten sensitively is a major factor! It actually has been demonstrated to reduce blood flow to the brain, whether a person is celiac/gluten intolerant or not.
And increase the following:
– A high quality Omega-3 supplement is essential for nerve & brain health. Sources like CBD oil are also high in the super-healing GLA fatty acid and highly recommended. CBD oil is particularly helpful for any issue involving the nervous system.
– Fresh greens – supplementing with folate has been shown to bring significant improvement in ADHD symptoms. This is because it is an essential nutrient in the methylation pathways & the production of glutathione. So get the greens in!
We make our (almost) 2 yo a little green smoothie every night for his before-bed snack, containing a little fresh greens. He loves it!
Greens/folate is especially important if your child has the MTHFR gene deficiency.
The ‘ADHD’ brain doesn’t always distinguish between dangerous threats & smaller problems. Hence the major meltdowns in response to little things.
This is quite similar to those with PTSD. This is because they are holding onto fear. We need to learn & teach our children how to deal with fear.
Interestingly ADHD it has a very similar appearance to the symptoms of PTSD, and there are links between the 2.
I spent a few years working with children & young people who come from complex trauma backgrounds. Every single one of them had several of the symptoms on the ADHD symptoms list.
Now I’m not suggesting that every child with ‘ADHD’ symptoms has complex trauma. But, chaotic parenting may increase the risk of developing ADHD.
The children of parents who are more demanding, aversive, negative, controlling, intrusive, disapproving, power assertive and less rewarding/gentle/positive/loving are at greater risk of ADHD.
Bottom line is that most children in the ‘ADHD’ brain state are wired for stress.
We can actually help them to break that cycle & rewire over time by:
- Looking at our own parenting dynamic with our child and asking how this might be contributing
- Helping them to break the cycle by addressing all of the above will create a much calmer, happier child who can better & more easily learn to cope with their emotions & deal with stress, and begin to rewire their brain patterning back to a normalised state.
Another little tip which I believe can help immensely is to make them up an aromatherapy roller bottle.
This empowers your child & helps them to identify when they are feeling uneasy or triggered & gives them a way to help themselves in the moment.
At difficult moments they can roll a little onto their wrists & back of the neck & take some calming connecting breaths. Teach them to use their breath to ground & connect to their body.
In a 10ml roller bottle mix:
- 20 drops Lavender
- 10 drops Patchouli
- 10 drops Vetivert
- 20 drops Frankinsence
- 20 drops mandarin
- 10 drops roman chamomile
- with 5ml carrier oil
Go here for my 2 favorite aromatherapy suppliers.
An additional important factor – Genetics & MTHFR
ADHD is known to run in families
Not all individuals with the genetic predisposition to ADHD will develop the disorder. That’s because environmental factors (like all of the above) also influence who does and who does not develop ADHD.
Half the population is now genetically predisposed to making too little glutathione in their biochemical makeup.
Our foods can no longer activate that biochemical production pathway.
We are no longer eating from the ‘garden of eden’ so to speak
Many of us eat on the run, or while we are stressed. Those foods are not going to be able to activate this pathway effectively.
Those with the MTHFR gene polymorphism are more likely to be deficient in glutathione & at greater risk for the development of ADHD.
In fact, they almost always have low glutathione, making them more susceptible to stress and oxidative stress while making them far less tolerant to toxins. This gets much worse with age, as the accumulation of toxins and cumulative damage of oxidative stress take their toll on the body.
The production of glutathione in the body is one of the most important processes of the methylation biochemical pathways.
Methyl cycle defects (and low glutathione) leave you sensitive to environmental toxins, compromise your defense against microbial infection, and complicate proper reading of your remaining genes. This explains why some people are damaged by environmental toxins, while others living in the same environment seem unaffected.
The MTHFR gene defect has become quite common, now affecting approximately 1 in every 4 people significantly & nearly 1 in 2 people mildly.
Is it any wonder ADHD has risen so rapidly in the last few decades!
Wrapping it Up
So in a nutshell, your child does NOT have ‘ADHD’.
- Toxic & oxidative stress
- Compromised/imbalance gut biome
- a diet that’s not right for them
- and are wired for stress.
Most likely a combination or all of the above.
These factors can be addressed by:
- Nrf2 activator & dietary adjustment (see above).Once you have checked it out & are ready to purchase please contact me for wholesale prices.
- Probiotics (see above)
- CBD oil
- Emotional support & Aromatherapy (see above)
So lets not just use the label & try to ‘manage’ it. Let’s call it what it is and treat each factor, and watch our children start to thrive!.